Vitamin D Overdose: Taking Too Much Is Hard To Do

One of the fears that people who need supplements of vitamin D describe is the danger of a vitamin D overdose. Take it from me. Unless you’re a toddler, this fear is way overblown.

Most of the cases of vitamin D toxicity occur when a big mistake is made in the dosage, particularly in children. For example, children often take vitamin D in liquid form. Some liquid preparations of vitamin D contain 500 international units (IU) in 2 teaspoons. Other liquid preparations contain 400 IU in 2 drops. If you give 2 teaspoons of the preparation that contains 400 IU in 2 drops, you would be giving 48,000 IU. Even then it would require many days of this wrong dose to cause toxicity, even in children. In adults a dose of 10,000 IU daily for up to 5 to 6 weeks has rarely been associated with toxicity.

What are the symptoms of vitamin D toxicity?

Most of them are related to the excess calcium that enters the blood stream as a result of the overdose. They include nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, constipation, weakness, weight loss and confusion. If the toxicity continues, there is the risk of permanent kidney damage and calcium deposits in areas where calcium is not usually found.

This entry was posted in Vitamin D. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>